Using Bing Webmaster Tools
Bing Webmaster Tools offers web analytics that help follow your sites traffic and recent trends of your site’s activity. Web analytics are not just tools for measuring web traffic but can be used as a tool for business research and market research, and to assess and improve the effectiveness of a web site.
From Bing Webmaster Tools Support Site:
Bing Webmaster Tools allow you to:
- See your site as Bing does, View crawl activity, index coverage, traffic stats, and more.
- Optimize for search. Research which keywords are driving traffic to your site.
- Share site information with Bing. Upload sitemaps, control our crawler, block URLs and tell us how to interact with your site.
- Who is linking to you? See a comprehensive view of sites, with anchor text, that are linking to your site.
How do I get my site verified by Bing?
You can get your website listed in Microsoft's Bing search engine using the simple steps below.
1. Create a Windows LiveID account.
- In order to use Bing’s Webmaster Tools you must first create a Windows LiveID account.
- Click here if you have not yet created a Windows LiveID account:
Note: To learn more about Windows LiveID
2. Open a Webmaster Tools account
- Once your Windows LiveID account is registered you may sign in to create your Webmaster Tools account. Follow this link to get started: http://www.bing.com/toolbox/webmaster/
- Once you are on your Webmaster Tools account dashboard…
3. Add a site
- Go to “SITE” and click on the “Add Site” button.
- On the “Add site” window simply enter the address of the website you wish to add:
- Once you’ve added the site the system will verify the ownership of the website. On the Webs platform you can use only options 1 & 3 to accomplish this.
a. How do I verify my site by uploading an XML file?
Option 1 requires you place an XML file on your web server.
- Download BingSiteAuth.xml by clicking on the link itself.
- Upload the file to your site.
3. Confirm successful upload by visiting http://yoursite.webs.com/BingSiteAuth.xml in your browser
4. Click the verify button below
b. How do I verify my site by Adding a CNAME record to DNS?
The other procedure is Option 3: Add CNAME record to DNS.
Note: This option is for those users that have a custom domain attached to their account and it requires editing your domain records.
Once you select Option 3 you will be prompted with the records that are to be added to you domain settings:
When your site has been verified your Dashboard will show the current status and recent trends of your site’s activity.